Arthashastra, the Economics Society of Miranda House, University of Delhi presents ‘VISHLESHAN’ : The Economics Discussion Group where eminent personalities will be called for interactive sessions to stimulate intellectual discourse on critical, current economic issues. They shall answer all questions related to every aspect of the issue and explain it in a very lucid and clear way. It’s an opportunity for discerning minds to discourse beyond the usual constructs of classroom teaching-a forum to inspire and provide greater opportunities to aspiring economists.
It is imperative for economics students to know about all the macroeconomic issues that occur around the world, that directly or indirectly affect our lives. All economic issues have a mechanism behind them that causes it to have certain economic consequences, and it is important to understand that mechanism so that in future we may have the power of knowledge and effective tools to bring amends and avoid any economic catastrophe. As our syllabus does not covers such contemporary issues due to time crunch, we aim to cover them and diffuse the knowledge not only among students of economics but also among those hailing from other streams.
Academic Session 2020-21
- 17th May, 2020 – Resurrecting the ‘Diseased’ Capitalism: Have markets failed or failed us? by Ms. Nandini Dutta, Associate Professor of Economics, Miranda House
- 20th October 2020 – Role of the State and Governance on Managing a Health Crisis by Mr Sabyasachi Das, Assistant Professor of Economics at Ashoka University
- 6th February 2021 – How COVID-19 has exacerbated rather than created Inequality by P Sainath
- 6th February 2021 – COVID-19 and the Government’s Response by Prof.Jayati Ghosh
- 7th February 2021 – Issues with the Farm Bills,2020 by Prof. R Ramkumar
- 7th February 2021 – The Decline of Western Capitalism by Prof. Richard Wolff
- Farm Laws – 4th February 2021 – Bhumika, Meera and Roshini
- Stock Market and Scams – 11th February 2021 – Isheka, Sejal, and Avni
- Randomised Response Technique (RRT) – 24th February 2021 – Bharati and Tavishi
- Anatomy of YES BANK crisis and the Bad Bank scheme – 1st March 2021 – Amrita and Surekha
- Feminist Economics – 9th March 2021 – Deshna and Vedika
- Market for Vaccines – 12th April 2021 – Sakshi
- Auction Theory – 17th April 2021 – Ishita and Shreyanka
- First session
- Poor Economics by Abhijit Banerjee and Esther Duflo
- Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoglu and James A. Robinson
- Sense and Solidarity by Jean Drèze
- Second session – Debt in Capitalism
- Making of an Indebted Man
- The Giant Pool of Money – This American Life
- David Graeber Interview at Google on his book Debt: The First 5,000 Years
- Third session
- What’s wrong with capitalism?
- Richard Wolff on his book The Sickness is the System
- 23 Things They Don’t Tell You About Capitalism – Ha-Joon Chang
- What’s wrong with economics, Heterodox Economics, and beyond
- Economics of the 1% – How Mainstream Economics Serves the Rich, Obscures Reality and Distorts Policy- John Weeks
- What is Heterodox Economics?
- Myths about Heterodox Economics
- The Future of Heterodox Economics
- What’s after neoliberalism?
- Sustainable socialist transformation
- What’s wrong with capitalism?
Academic Session 2017-18